Biorefinery Front End Design
The scope of work was to develop a front end design and budget for a biorefinery process. The biosciences company has developed a refinery process to valorise fresh waste in house and required a feasibility assessment of a fully scaled up commercial operation of this process.
The scope of supply included the following:
- Feasibility assessment
- Equipment sizing
- CAPEX estimate
- OPEX estimate
- Masterplan to scale up and sequentially introduce products
The biorefinery process was developed in house by the client and a high level process flow and mass balance was provided to FDT.
A part of design development, FDT completed mass and energy balances and timing analyses for each step of the process.
The output of the study included:
- Detailed capital cost estimate
- Detailed operating cost estimate
- Energy efficiency commentary
- Process safety commentary
- Refinery process and system design description
- Outline project schedule
- Analysis of the impact of selection of various processing e.g. the positives and negatives associated with different drying and filtration technologies.